I'm thrilled to announce the release of the next version of Banana Dance's beta: vB.2.4. This version comes after months of functionality testing and stress testing and solves a number of annoyances as well as adds many useful new features.
- Issues with long page titles resolved.
- Issues with breadcrumbs having trailing "junk" resolved.
- Admin logout link working.
- Widgets: Article data is filtered through the proper function allowing for a fuller set of caller tags.
- SSL connections are now considered when creating headers.
- IMPORTANT: This requires that you change the following in config.php:
- This Text: define('URL',
- Becomes: define('URLHOLD',
- Internet Explorer: Solved issues with the admin control panel.
- Widget editor: A large number of bugs with the editor have been resolved.
- Notices: Comment notices now link to the correct page.
- The biggest new feature is "Custom Callers". Custom callers allow you to automatically find specific text in your pages and do one of three things with it:
- Create a straight find and replace.
- Example 1: Find text "COMPANY_NAME" and auto-replace with "Widgets Inc.".
- Place a help bubble next to it.
- Example 1: Find text "John Smith" and auto-create a help bubble with text "John Smith is our President and CEO"
- Auto-link to a URL or page on your website.
- Example 1: Find text "About Us" and auto-link to article named "About Our Company"
- Example 2: Find text "Yahoo!" and auto-link to http://www.yahoo.com/
- Footnotes: the new [fn][/fn] functionality for footnotes has been added, allowing you to create more traditional citations.
- Stripped Privileges: Ability to remove a user type's privileges from a specific category.
- Pre-population: When creating a new page, you can pre-populate the editor with a preset "template". This can be customized for each category.
- New caller tags: %article_image% and %article_image_div%
- Creates a "fitted DIV element" with the first image on a page. Can be used in widgets.
- Improved Page Snippets: Smarter rending of page snippets to end on a sentence.
- Meta data: if no meta description or keywords are provided, the program will attempt to auto-populate these fields using the page's snippet and the page's tags.
- Theme Backups: Dtabase backups as well as automated theme file backups.
Some issues that I noticed but which couldn't be solved yet include:
- Internet Explorer issues with the dropdown menus in the admin control panel.
- Media library thumbnail rendering issues.
- Various widget editor issues.
- The template editor will something overwrite the incorrect template. The cause of this is unknown however I strongly recommend that you edit the actual template files until it can be resolved.
- The program still will occassionally create 2 copies of a new article when you are creating it. The reason is currently unknown but is being investigated.
- Caching: The caching system, which was designed for the original version of the beta, needs to be overhauled and updated.
- Search Results: Caller tags aren't always properly updating.
- Auto-updated: This system is a mess currently and needs to be overhauled.
- Styles: There are issues with system elements inheriting your website's styles which can easily cause problems.